TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

My partner and I bought a derelict house in France in 1998

My partner and I bought a derelict house in France in 1998 En tontine with joint 50/50 ownership. We are now seperating and I have decided to let her keep the house in France. Am I liable for any capital gain?
Regards
Graham Newby
Category: French Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this Legal topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had found an answer or if you still needed assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please can you tell me what extra information you require.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
We require no further information at this time to search for a French law professional for you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please can you tell me when I will receive a reply to my question?

Regards

Graham Newby

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
We cannot predict when a question will be answered except to say that when a French legal professional believes he can give you a satisfactory answer, he will reply. There are many variables that factor into that such as the nature and complexity of the problem and the area of professional expertise of the lawyers online.
Expert:  TKenney, Ph.D. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, In French law when you sell a real estate property at a higher price than that paid for at the purchase price, you realize a "capital gain." The real estate capital gain is taxable income in France unless it is your principal residence.
If the property is your prinicipal residence, then you have no capital gains tax to pay. If you are giving the property to your partner and not making a profit, then you will have no capital gains taxes. In French law, capital gains taxes are only paid when one makes a profit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. We bought the property for approx 30,000 euros. It is currently valued at approx 180,000 Euros and we have spent approx 80,000 euros rebuilding it. However I am giving the property to my ex partner for no money. Am I still not liable for any capital gains tax?

In French law, inheritance, gifts or shares of undivided property under a civil union (PACS) or marriage are exempt from the French capital gains tax. These are transactions legally called gratuitous transfers, which in essence does not produce gains.

You wrote you are giving the real estate property to your ex partner. This is in essence a gift after your union, and you are not making a profit, Therefore you will not have to pay the French capital gains tax. The French Notaire who will write up your transfer of title deeds (acte de vente) will have to show that this is a gift and not a sale. Your French document of transfer of title written up by the Notaire will have to determine that you gave your share of the property to your ex-partner as a gift.
I am glad I was able to answer your question. Please don’t forget to provide a positive rating so I can get credit for the service I provided to you. If the answer was particularly helpful a BONUS is always appreciated too! Best regards!
Experience: Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US