TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

My son was born in France from French parents. He has lived

Customer Question

My son was born in France from French parents. He has lived in the US for his entire life (21yo) and now wants to live in France. He has not done his one day of military service. what should he do? How does this will affect his ability to find a job? What is the best solution.

Also he has become American but never denied his French citizenship in France.

Category: French Law
Expert:  TKenney, Ph.D. replied 1 year ago.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello, Your French-American son should contact the French consulat of the jurisdiction where he lives. the french consulat will help him out and give him the necessary forms to fill out if he can show proof of his French citizenship.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello, this is a chat. You rated me poor service, and I was not finished.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Instead of asking me questions you decided to rate me pppor service. That is unfair.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

I started not to answer your question because I thought that you would not like my answer. I try to avoid answering questions where the customer may not lik the answer or the law.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

I was doing the necessary research toanswer you other questions.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

As for advising you, please understand that it is against the JustAnswer policy to advise customers on this website. This site allows for a general response that will help you with your legal issue. If necessary, for specific advice contact a local French attorney. While I am indeed a French lawyer in Paris, again on this website, I am just a French law expert answering questions on French law and on my free time. I did not advise you, I just answered your question in accordance to what you can do under French law.

In fact, in order for me (or any lawyer, solicitor, or barrister) to counsel someone and tell them what they should do, I would need to see him/her (in person or on the phone), see all his/her documents, see all his/her evidence, get all the facts, understand the whole situation, ask a lot of questions, and establish a formal attorney client relation. In fact, the Just Answer disclaimer clearly states the following: "Posts are for general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional advice (medical, legal, veterinary, financial, etc.), and do not establish a professional-client relationship." No attorney client relationship has been formed.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

You asked the follow question: "He has not done his one day of military service. what should he do?" I did the necessary reasearch for you son and apparently there is no problem, he should be able to make up for his one day service. All he needs to do is contact the office of French Service National Center (Centre du service national)of his jurisdiction and they will schedule a one day military service.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

You then asked the following question: "How does this will affect his ability to find a job?" This will not effet your son's ability to find a job. This will only effet his possibility to take the French high school Bac exam and apply for a French drivers licence, because one of the rquirments is to be able present a certificate of participation in the one day military. service.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Finally, you asked the following question:"What is the best solution." As I wrote above, please understand that it is against the JustAnswer policy to advise customers on this website. This site allows for a general response that will help you with your legal issue. If necessary, for specific advice contact a local French attorney. In any case, your son will have to contact the French consulate and the French Service National Center (Centre du service national).

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Please do not forget to rate positively my answer otherwise I will not get compensated for my work. The general information provided CANNOT replace the personalized advice one can expect of an attorney/client relationship.

Expert:  TKenney, Ph.D. replied 12 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.