T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

Hi there.I am a english builder in the Vendee region of France.

Hi there.
I am a english builder in the Vendee region of France. Having agreed with a client to finish works, I presented him with a outstanding balance of 3000 euro. I did not get him to sign any contract for the works. I was naive and trusted he would pay on completion of works. He refuses to pay. I have witnesses in forms of other plumbers and electricians on the job who saw what work I carried out. How do I retreive my Money owed to me.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this Legal topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had found an answer or if you still needed assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Wendy
Firstly you need send him a request for payment (mise en demeure) by recorded delivery mail, giving him 10 days to pay. Then, if he does not comply, you will have to take him to court.
For amounts below 4000 € you can seize the juge de proximité at the Tribunal d'Instance (small claim court). If you master enough French to explain your case clearly, you do not need a lawyer, and the legal cost will be limited to a 35 € tax, which you can ask the court to condemn the client to pay (as well a your time lost in this case) - art 700 CPC.
Experience: 8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)