TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

wHAT ARE THE FRENCH REGULATIONS FOR ENDORSEMENT OF CHECKS?

wHAT ARE THE FRENCH REGULATIONS FOR ENDORSEMENT OF CHECKS? WOULD IT SUFFICE TO STAMP THE CHECK ON THE BACK OR THE SIGNATURE IS ALSO REQUIRED?

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello

TKenney, Ph.D. :
Here is Article L131-19 (in French) of the French Code Monétaire et Financier (I put in bold the part about checks being endorsed by hand or any other non hand writtien procedure :

"L'endossement doit être inscrit sur le chèque ou sur une feuille qui y est attachée, dite allonge. Il doit être signé par l'endosseur. La signature de celui-ci est apposée, soit à la main, soit par tout procédé non manuscrit."

TKenney, Ph.D. :

In French law, a signature on the back of the check is required for endorsement, however French law (Article L131-19 of the French Monetary and Finance Code/ Code Monétaire et Financier) provides that the signature can be by hand or by any other non manual process. So, not any stamp but a stamp of the signature would suffice.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

I hope this helps you. Please do not forget to rate positively my answer otherwise I will not get compensated for my work.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

By the way, the above French law also states that the check can also be endorsed on a separate piece of paper attached to the check. The word "endossement" in French means, on the back (back = "dos"). In English we use the French word for "on the back."

TKenney, Ph.D. :

hello

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello did you get my answer?

Customer:

Thank you for your answer. For the time being it is all I need .