T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)

Hi My girlfriend and I have recently split up, we have

My girlfriend and I have recently split up, we have a 2 year old daughter can you please inform me on my rights as a father, how much time I am entitled to see my daughter, as my ex-girfriend said that in France Father's are only allowed every other weekend and 50% of the holidays, for me the every other weekend seems a bit harsh
Many Thanks in advance

The arrangement described by your girlfriend is what has usually been done in the past. Yet, nowadays, if you live close to the child's mother, you are fully entitled to request that shared custody be granted to you. Which means that your little girl will spend half of her time with you, and half of her time with her mother.

The decision will be made by the juge aux affaires familiales after he has heard both parent's point of view and, if necessary, asked social services to make investigations to check whether all conditions are met to enable you (and your ex-girl-friends) to have the little girl stay with you (and her mother) on a regular basis).

You will need to ask you avocat (lawyer) to request share custody (garde partagée) at the beginning of child custody proceedings.