TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US

I am US citizen. Married in 1955 to a French national. Seperated

Customer Question

I am US citizen. Married in 1955 to a French national. Seperated in 1978 with Seperation Agreement, paying alimony and other monies.. In 1979 received a Dominican Republic mutual consent Divorce. .
My ex-wife moved to the USA. I remarried in 1980. In 1991 a new Seperation Agreement was legalized whereby I paid a lump sum with the old seperation agreement negated. It was also agreed no further contact allowed.
Received a call (on my answerphone,fortunately) whereby my ex-wife is returning to France so she can enjoy medical help under the French system, as she can not afford US medical care any longer.
She threw in the statement " by the way the Dominican divorce is not valid in France,so we are still married under French law" . Therefore my question of course is: What does this mean ? an dhow vaild is her statement?.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this Legal topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had found an answer or if you still needed assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will wait.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I assume there will never be an answer to my question ! And my payment is lost.

Will not use your *service* again..