T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)

Hi, What (if any) is the process to follow for a NZ citizen

Customer Question

Hi, What (if any) is the process to follow for a NZ citizen to secure a Carte de Sejour - already in France as a tourist (90 days, with 30 days already passed!). Hope for advice soon, Best wishes, Doug McLeod
Category: French Law
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rachel,

No answer yet, but I'm willing to wait for an expert to come up with a response to my query! My feeling is that there must be a set of criteria and an application process for an individual who wants to live in France for a year, and has more than sufficient 'resourses' (although the Prefecture was unwilling to indicate how much resource was required - Euro50K? Euro100K?). Doug

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Rachel
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 1 year ago.
You need to apply from your country of residence for a long stay visa. This will allow you to apply for a one year residency card once you arrive in France.
You cannot apply from France if you entered with a Schengen tourist visa. If you overstay the 90 days (in France and the other Schengen treaty countries cumulatively) you will risk: 1 - being deported back to your country of residence 2- being denied any visa to France and all other Schengen treaty countries within the next 5 years.
At the French Consulate General in NZ (if you reside in NZ) you will be asked to show that you have somewhere to stay in France (lease, property, certificate issued by friends who will accommodate you for the duration of your stay), and that you have enough to live (no set monthly income - assessment made by consular officers based on applicants' standard of living) and will not risk being dependent on French welfare system (public health insurance and other benefits). If you plan on working in France, you will need to provide the consular officer with documents issued by your employer in France showing that he has obtained the permission to hire a non EU citizen form the Department of labor.
Experience: 8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The French embassy/consulate website in NZ specifically states that a LSV is not required for NZ citizens in order to apply for a Carte de Sejour.

An application for CdeS via the spouse as an EU citizen appeared (from both NZ and AU websites) to be possible, but in Aude Prefecture they insisted that the EU citizen (a) be resident in France, and (b) show salary slips, French income tax payment and French Social Security payments. All of (b) above are impossible, as I have never been employed in France, only coming as a visitor to my 'maison secondaire' (for 15 years!!). Does that make me 'resident' for CdeS purposes??

Expert:  T Perrin C replied 1 year ago.
No having a residence secondaire is not enough to be considered a resident, no matter how long you have kept it. The application for a CdS as a spouse of an EU citizen, without a long stay visa is possible ONLY if the said spouse is a resident of France and registered as such with Social Security, tax authorities,...
And I am sorry to say that without these conditions fully met, the only option for stays above 90 days is to apply for a long stay visa which will then enable you apply for a CdS at the prefecture upon arrival in France...