How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Attorney
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 6850
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
Type Your French Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I own an apartment in Paris and we are working

Customer Question

My husband and I own an apartment in Paris and we are working on our Living Trust here in the US. We are trying to determine if it is better to write the property into our US Living Trust AND write a French will OR to keep the property in Paris separate with a will in France and not write it into our Living Trust here OR is just putting it into our Living Trust here enough and we don't need to write a will in France?

Also, how to do we go about finding a good notaire to help with the writing of the will? We will be in Paris in August and it would be great to get this taken care of while we are both there this summer.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 3 years ago.
IA living trust is a legal entity separate and apart from the individuals who fund the trust (the settlors). In order to transfer property into the US trust, the deed would need to be in the name of the trust, versus simply being in the individuals' names. For example, it would need to be titled as "John Doe, as Trustee of the Doe Family Trust". In most states, that can be as simple as executing a grant deed or a quit claim deed. Many people prefer to transfer say, Arizona real estate to their New York trust, in order to avoid ancillary probate in Arizona. Since this involves a foreign country, you would need to determine what their rules are regarding deeds - whether they will allow a trust to hold property; particularly a foreign trust (some countries have rules against foreign real property ownership).

Being a US attorney, I can only provide information regarding the American aspect of the question. For example, some countries have stamp duties (document tax) for transferring property to a trust, yet if one waits to bequeath it via a will, there may be no such stamp duties.

Furthermore, depending on citizenship, there are a myriad of tax issues. The US and France has a treaty - I will link you to it: which explains in detail the various situatiions as to which country is entitled to the estate tax (the purpose of the treaty is to avoid double taxation; the US has similar treaties with many countries).

Also, many countries have different estate taxes depending on whether the person who is inheriting the property is a blood relative or spouse, in addition to forced heirship laws .

Keep in mind, also, that the living trust is a product of US law, designed to help with US tax avoidance, and more importantly, to assist with avoiding the costs/fees/time of probate proceedings. Typically, US documents are not binding on other countries, particularly real property.

In situations such as this, it is advisable to consult with an international law firm, one that has attorneys licensed in both the United States and in France, so they can discuss in detail the pros/cons of each situation based on your particular circumstances.

You can make an inquiry into the American Bar Association to see if they have a referral program for cases such as this.

I hope this information helps explain the basics, and more importantly encourages you to seek individual counsel on this, in order to take advantage of the laws of both countries (especially since probate in France is notorious for taking much longer than a US probate).
Expert:  LegalGems replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JA/Pearl! I hope you found my services helpful, as this is important to me.

If you need further assistance, please put TO LEGAL GEMS in front of the question and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

My career position is an attorney; my hobby is a researcher. Fortunately these compliment each other! I hope that means you received great service - and I enjoyed providing it!!

Thank you for rating my answer as this is how I receive compensation for assisting you. I hope JA/Pearl and myself has met your needs and provided you general legal information for you to use in the future. Thank You!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • TKenney, Ph.D.

    TKenney, Ph.D.

    French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
< Last | Next >
  • TKenney, Ph.D.'s Avatar

    TKenney, Ph.D.

    French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
  • A.Valcke's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer with Maîtrise en droit & Licence spéciale en droit européen.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • José M.'s Avatar

    José M.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Spanish Attorney
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK based Immigration Solicitor
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: