T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

Please clarify the lFrench law on Feux de jardin interdits.I

Please clarify the lFrench law on Feux de jardin interdits.

I thought they were banned in the WHOLE of France on 18th november 2011.

I have an English neighbour who persists in burning a HUGE mountain of laurel which containe cyanide!

If the fires are banned, how can I stop my neighbour?

Thank you
Category: French Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this Legal topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had found your answer elsewhere or if you still needed assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I have viewed answers to my question on the internet.

Garden fires do seem to be banned over the whole of France.

I wanted a legal answer and also a copy of this law to print out and put on our local notice board.

Please give me a reference to the actual law so I can print it out please.

Thank you

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately there is no clear-cut law. What was published on November 18th, 2011 is not a law but a circulaire interministérielle, which amounts basically to administrative guidelines.

It opens the door to many local (département and commune) exceptions depending on who does what and when... And sets no direct penalties.

You need to check out what the local rules with the mairie and the préfecture. These may vary depending on whether you live in town or not and on the time of the year. And if you find out it is indeed forbidden, you will have to call (and pay) a bailiff (huissier de justice) to testify and take samples of the smoke coming from your neighbour's garden fire. If analyses show it is toxic you will be in a position to take him to court... Sorry, but it is a very tedious process...

Experience: 8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)