How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TKenney, Ph.D. Your Own Question
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 831
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
Type Your French Law Question Here...
TKenney, Ph.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i get adivorce in america if i was married in CH?Both

This answer was rated:

Can i get adivorce in america if i was married in CH?Both hold U.S. & ch citizenships?

TKenney, Ph.D. :

It depends on the State. Each state in the US has it's own rules regarding divorcing in that state. Often there is a residency requirement. As long as you fulfill that state residency requirement, you can diorce in the USA no matter where you were married. Also, the fact that you were married in CH does not mean that you have to get divorced in CH. You can get divorced in any country as long as you fulfill all the conditions of that country, and regardless of you nationality (ties). Due to international laws, if your spouse were to ask for a divorce first in CH, then a US court may not have juisdiction to hear your divorce petition. So in order to divorce in the USA, there must also not be a divorce case pending in CH.

TKenney, Ph.D. and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you