T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

Back in the year 2003 I had a tax issue with the French government.

Back in the year 2003 I had a tax issue with the French government. They told me to pay taxes to them which I had already paid to the USA. I lived in Hong Kong for 17 years and earned quite a bit of money, then moved to France in 2000 and brought my savings to France to buy a home, a boat, a pc of land and a business. Some jealous ppl told the French tax ppl that I was doing illegal things and then the French ppl did an investigation on me and saw that I transferred alot of money to France. They said I owed back taxes to them. BTW I never earned 1 cent of profit on anything in France. I hired an attorney to get me out of the situation but I ran out of money to pay the lawyer. So I simply decided not to go to France. Now, I want to go to Paris for one day on my way to Kiev for a wedding. My sister will meet me at the airport. My question is this. Will I be arrested when I pass through immigration? Please let me know and thanks.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, I can wait a couple of more days if needed. Let me know how it is going. I am pretty anxious to know if I can see my sister in Paris. I also need to book a room for one night.

Thanks Fran

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy
Hello again,

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Fran it's fine for you to continue to find an answer for me so I will wait for a few more days thanks
Great! Thank you for letting me know. We will keep looking.
It is likely that you be arrested and put into detention whenever you cross French borders, and possibly kept until you face trial if this still has not been sorted out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am so surprised to see this answer. Can you at least let me know why you gave this reply? Your answer does not tell me anything about why I would be arrested? I read in some forums that the only reason the French government would arrest someone at the airport is if they were already on a wanted list for a crime. Let me know your thoughts and thanks.

My answer is pretty simple: tax evasion, or not submitting documentation requested by tax authorities, is a crime under French law, punishable by prison. You can only be arrested if you are wanted for offenses punishable by prison in the French Criminal Code. Yet most tax evasion matters (in the general sense) are not dealt with like any other debt, under civil law, but under criminal law, with many offenses punishable by prison sentences.
Experience: 8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)