TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

Dears,I have a residency status in Frence as Salarie en

Customer Question

Dears, I have a residency status in Frence as Salarie en Mission, with cart de sejour of 3 years iam an expat with expat contract not a local french one, my wife will obtain a residency card for 1 year and renweable, she plan to strat her masters studies for 2 years, would she be eligible to apply for the french citizinship afterwards right after she finises her studies?

If i joined her in her studies and I obtained a master in France for two years, would I be eleigible to apply for citizinship as well while i having expat contract?

Category: French Law
Expert:  TKenney, Ph.D. replied 1 year ago.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello, Yes, your wife will be able to apply for French citizenship, but only after she will have finished 2 years of university studies (or 2 years of studies in an establishment of higher education).

TKenney, Ph.D. :

For non students, there is a mandatory 5 year residence period in France before being able to apply for French nationality.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

So, if you are a resident of France for 5 years, you can apply for French citizenship.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

If your wife decides to postpone her Masters studies, she can apply for French nationality after 5 years of residency in France.

Customer: Dear sir thanks for your reply let me pleas clarify my question again
Customer: Dear sir let me please clarify my question again and thanks for your answer. I am Salarie en Mission dose it make. Difference? Dose she has to work and get local contract? Dose she can apt right after finishing her studies (after two years) or she has to wait two more years after finishing her studies? Any other requirements ? Is online French postgraduate studies acceptable? Thanks
TKenney, Ph.D. :

The French naturalization office will not be lookung at your status (as a salaeié en mission"), but your wife's status (as a university student) If your wife is enrolled in a University for two years, then she can apply for French nationality, but only after her two years of her university studies and not before. Your wife have to only be a student. she does not have to work and get a locl contract. Again, she can apply right after finishing her studies (after two years). She does not have to wait two more years after finishing her studies. Other requirements is that she must not have a police record and she is must not be a danger to the French society. The tax agent will decide if the oneline postgraduate work is acceptable. This is done on a case by case basis.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

I am glad I was able to answer your question. Please don’t forget to provide a positive rating so I can get credit for the service I provided to you. If the answer was particularly helpful a BONUS is always appreciated too! Best regards XXXXX XXXXX!

Customer:

Thanks but i expect that she will not get a study visa, she will get a family member visa valid for 1 years and renweable, does it work as well?

Customer:

and if i did the studies as well I am eligiable by having Salarie en mission status?

Customer:

any way to precheck the acceptance of the program before we start it? please answer my question regarding any other requirments. Thank you

TKenney, Ph.D. :

To study in France, one needs a Student visa or a document of temporary residency of France. Your wife will need to get in contact with the administration of the university to see if they will accept her one year and renewable visa status.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

You are coming in france with a "Salarié en mission" status, you must remain an employed worker. However, you might be able to do studies as well. Again, normally you ned a student visa. The student visa garantees many things like your acceptance in a French university, your level of French being high enough to attend classes 100% in French, and a medical examination. Your main objective is to be a salaried worker. You will have to contact the university when you arrive in France to see if they will accept you to study. This is much more difficult than going through the student visa route. the result will depend on the individual university.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

You should contact the individual university to see what their requirements are.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Please don’t forget to provide a positive rating so I can get credit for the service I provided to you.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

I am glad I was able to answer your question.

Customer:

Dear Sir, I am expecting more precise answers but i have rated the answer to let you receive your credit.

Customer:

I have been told that Salarie En Mission and the family visa that my wife would carry make us not eligible to apply, till now iam not clear in this, also I wounder what is the language reuirments, whjat arethe websits, what are the required documents, how I can check if I want now on the procedures, do you advise me to work with a lawyer on that?

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello

TKenney, Ph.D. :

I have not received your positive rating.

Experience: Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done your rating but i hope you can help me more even for more fees