TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US

I was married in France in 1984, sous contrat, Im American

I was married in France in 1984, sous contrat, I'm American he's French now naturalized US citizen. We've just gotten a divorce in CA, what else do I do for the French govt?

TKenney, Ph.D. :

If you want, you can registred your divorce at the French consulate nearest you.

Hello, yes, I've thought of that one, but, is this going to dissolve my marriage in France formally?

TKenney, Ph.D. :

France will accept your divorce done in the USA.. This means that you will have to personaly inform all the organizations in France that you are divorced. There is no data base in France of divorce French people. When filling out papers, you will have to check the box that reads "divorce". Some organizations may ask for a copy of your divorce decree and a French translation. Informing the French Consulate is a start. However, in french law, you are responsible for informing organizatons that you are divorced.