TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

My husbands sister is dying and did not leave a will in France

My husbands sister is dying and did not leave a will in France ...He is the only surviving family member, her brother...what happens to her home ? does it go automatically to him..They are both French Citizens...

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello, in French law the home should go to your husband, but not automatically. Your husband will have to accept the inheritance (the home) and he wiill have to accept to pay all his sister's debts. Your husband can refuse his sister's estate (especially if there is a lot of debt to pay).

Customer:

Does this process take a long time if there is no will?? Is there an online Will web site for France you would recommend?

Customer:

hello??

Hello, the process should not take a long time if there is no will. The French government will give your husband up to 6 months to pay any French taxes (before penalty charges) if any taxes need to be paid. What takes a long time is when the parties do not have the right documents (death certificates, etc...). There is no online service in France for dealing with estates. You will need to get a French lawyer who will contact a Notaire.

Please do not forget to rate positively my answer otherwise I will not get compensated for my work. The general information provided CANNOT replace the personalized advice one can expect of an attorney/client relationship.