T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

It is not clear to me if Im still required to complete the

It is not clear to me if I'm still required to complete the French tax declaration this year.
Our circumstances:
• Both my wife and I are EU (but not French) citizens.
• We moved from France to UK in 2009.
• In summer 2012 we sold an apartment we still owned in France (which had not been rented for a few years, so it was just incurring expenses (taxe fonciere, HOA, etc.) but not producing any income).
• When we sold it, we took the forfait deduction (therefore, all of the Net Operating Losses, accumulated during the previous few years, turned out to be not relevant as far as calculating capital gains was concerned).
• All we have left in France now is a garage that currently contains some of our personal belongings (again, hasn't been rented out for many years). We will probably sell it this year or next for about 15k€, after which we will be completely out of France fiscally.

So, since all of the taxes the French could get out of us were extracted by the notary and the accumulated net operating loss turned out to be irrelevant for tax purposes, I see no point in spending my time filling out the French tax declaration this year, UNLESS I am still required to do so.

My question: am I still required to do it?
Category: French Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please continue searching.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 1 year ago.
No you do not need to fill this year's tax declaration as in 2012 you were not French tax residents, and had no income coming from your investments in France (apart form capital gains on the real-estate you sold, but you already paid what was owed on this through the notaire).
You will only have to pay taxe foncière and taxe d'habitation on your garage...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Since FR expects my declaration (they've sent me a reminder a month or two ago), should I let FR know that I have no requirement to file for the reasons you've mentioned?

Expert:  T Perrin C replied 1 year ago.
You can either ignore it (especially if sent by e-mail) as theses reminders are automatically generated and sent to persons who used to file a declaration the previous years. Or you can write to the sender service a letter stating you were not a French tax resident in 2012 and received no income of French source in 2012...
Experience: 8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)