TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US

Are both parties to a Mutual Consent Divorce, required to "appear"

Are both parties to a Mutual Consent Divorce, required to "appear" before the judge or magistrate who sign the ultimate decree? The husband and wife are French citizens and owners of a Flat. The flat has supposedly sold, though the Notaire will not divulge anything regarding the sale. The wife is currently visiting the USA on a Visa Waiver Program, and does not want to return to France anytime in the near future for any reason.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello, I do a lot of divorce cases in France, and yes both parties to a Mutual Consent Divorce are required to "appear" personally and physically before the judge who signs the ultimate decree. You will also need a lawyer.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

As a praticing lawyer, I have had many cases of a French spouses not wanting to return back to France soon for the mutual consent divorce. At the end of the day, they all had to come to France and appear before the court in order to divorce in France. That is the position of the French law; there is no other way around it.