TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

Hi. In a moment of stupidity I went well over the speed limit

Customer Question

Hi. In a moment of stupidity I went well over the speed limit - 230kph for a few seconds on a pretty deserted French autoroute. I was following a speeding car who came too close to me and induced it, but that's no defence. I was not stopped by the police and there are no fixed cameras over the few kilometres, nor is there any radar warning signage, but I do not know if there was any temporary hidden camera there or if the car was an unmarked police one - very doubtful as it was erratic and speeding also. It is unlikely there is anything as it is a strong uphill section before the motorway ends to become an N route, but of course, I still worry because I cannot be sure yet and that sort of speed is a big deal. The vehicle is registered in Switzerland, but I do not have a swiss licence, or French, just UK and Dubai, and I am leaving Switzerland in around a month which is before the one year licence exchange period, at this point for france. Can anyone advise me on the likely implications if I was recorded in any way bearing in mind the complexity of the registration/licence/no longer swiss resident situation?
Category: French Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, since posting this question, I found an article online from a motoring organisation which states that only contraventions from fixed cameras, and not manned cameras, will be passed from france to Switzerland, so in the unlikely event that there was any camera at all, it must have been manned/not fixed, so please cancel my question, thank-you.