T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

dear Madam, i wish to know 24 years ago my husband and

Customer Question

dear Madam, i wish to know 24 years ago my husband and my self were told that for tax purposes iam englsh citizen my husband french thw jaw then from a paris lawer said that we had to spend more time in our country of residence than any othe country is this still true [please assist me yours sincerly Vanessa CLEMENT MBE
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 3 years ago.
Indeed, to be recognized as a tax resident of a country you usually need to spend at least 183 days per fiscal year in this country. Yet this is only the general rule. Numerous other rules apply and vary from one country to the other which sometime make it difficult to figure out of which country one is a fiscal resident. Would you have a more precise question?

Dear customer, I noted that you rated my answer as "poor" whereas I could only provide indeed a very succinct answer based on the information above. What makes one a tax resident in a country or not depends on many more criteria than the length of stay in a country. I would be happy to elaborate if you wish so.