TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US

I am going to try to buy a french property at judicial auction.

I am going to try to buy a french property at judicial auction. I know I have to appoint an avocat, do we have one attempt at a bid (i.e. a sealed bid) or do we give the avocat our maximum bid and assume he will start bidding at the reserve price and increase as necessary until our maximum bid is reached?

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello. You will have to give the lawyer your maximum bid.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Your lawyer will try to get the property at a lower price than your maximum bid.

Customer: Thank you.
Customer: Thank you
Customer: thank you. We need 10% of the reserve price as a deposit at the auction. This is usually in the form of a cashier cheque. Do you know if it is possible to electronically transfer that amount to the avocat instead? It would be so much easier if that were the case
TKenney, Ph.D. :

At the present state of the French law, you will need a cashier chèque. You can wire the money to your lawyer who can afterwards provide the court with a cashier's check.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

All the bidders show up with the cashier's check.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Your lawyer will be asked for the cachier's check before the auction starts. If there is non check, then there will be no way to participate in the court public auction.