TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US

Customer Question

I will be visiting France in Spring to perform historical and genealogical research. I had hoped to request that possible distant cousins contribute genetic samples to FamilyTreeDNA's database of Y-chromosome tests but discovered Loi 2011-267 Articles 16-10, 16-11 and 16-12. Is it legal to obtain genetic testing through foreign companies for ancestral and genealogical research purposes. All markers tested in Y-DNA testing are the same used for population genetics studies. At current testing levels, the test results cannot be used to uniquely identify an individual. An individual has the option to make their results anonymous or private from other database users. None of the markers examined are medically relevant. The testing results are processed through a respectable company but depend on a self administered sampling technique of a cheek swab. Would if be legal for me to contact individuals of a certain surname and request that they participate in genetic testing for genealogy purposes?
Category: French Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will cancel the question. Thanks