T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)

I recently took out a mortgage on a french property. the bank

I recently took out a mortgage on a french property. the bank (CA)insisted that i take out life cover (OK - fine with that), but did not discuss other insurances.
I now find that they put documents relating to habitation assurance and legal protection insurance in the middle of my mortgage papers -and marked them for signature. - and I inadvertently signed them.
I have spoken to the bank - they say I signed the papers (correct). I explained \i did not want their insurances, they were not discussed - and I have asked them to cancel these and refund payments taken from my bank account.
CA maintain that |I was obliged to take out these assurances.
I have read that Article A331-3 du code de sAssurances does not oblige me to take their assurances.
I already have house insurance with another company.
Please tell which part of the Article 331 deals withis?
You are obliged to have insurance covering repayment of the loan in case of death or full disability. Likewise all homeowners must have (by law) assurance habitation. But you are not obliged to take them from the bank selling the mortgage. Legal protection insurance is not compulsory.
In some cases, banks offer lower interest rates to mortgage takers who buy a package including life credit insurance and homeowner insurance, but it has been rule that they cannot force any borrower to buy this package.
It is actually Code de la consommation which deals with this. You can seek free help from AFUB on this matter, or file a complaint with the local Direction de la Protection des Populations (consumer rights police)
However, since you signed the insurance contracts you will have to wait until you can give them notice 3 months before renewal date, or fight the case in court claiming that your were tricked into signing these documents... Which may be difficult... Sorry.