TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

I inherited money form my mothers estate just recently. It

Customer Question

I inherited money form my mother's estate just recently. It is not a very large amount .My mother was French living in France. I grew up in the USA as she lived here for many years and she returned to France during her retirement.
My question is, my brother and I were the heirs. And I understand that under French
law I am entitled to one third,(the reserve) of my mother's estate even though she left me about one quarter.My brother inherited the remainder of the estate along with his two children The Notaire informed me that an indemnity making up the difference to equal one third would be required to be paid from my brother. The amount was about 37000 euros in order to arrive at one third of the total amount of the estate.. However at the time of the disbursement of the inheritance,because my brother is both" heritier" and" legataire",and I am only "heritier" I was informed by the notaire that he is entitled to half that amount .Consequently ,I received about 18000 euros less than a third of the estate. My question is this according to French law accurate despite that in the final analysis I am not receiving one third of the total of the estate (less fees and expenses). Thank you
Category: French Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I will wait. I did not realize that you had tried to contact me.

Thank you

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Regards,
Wendy