TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

French Will and domicile for tax purposes

Customer Question

I am married to a wealthy man who uses France as his domicile for tax purposes. He resides in the UK and will follow me to NZ. He has never paid tax in France, nor does in intend to reside there yet he has a French will. His inherited wealth will pass to his children in a Trust. His Swiss lawyer has informed me that of the remaining assets of his estate, I get 25% and his estate lawyers can pursue me for property and any bank accounts, gifts  acquired during our relationship as this is considered part of his estate. I am a bit worried that I might be left with very little if this were to happen, including a home.Does French law not consider trusts as part of an estate? Does a French Will hold no matter where one resides in the European Union, especially the UK? Also, will this change once he moves to NZ, another jurisdiction.  Can the Swiss / French lawyers pursue a case against me here.

Category: French Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Yes, I am ok with continuing to wait for an answer. Can you give me a rough estimate of how long I might have to wait?

Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
The answer I got was to say they could not answer at this time
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mary,

It's impossible to predict when a question will get an answer. When a legal profeessional with the right area of specialization believes that he can give you a satisfactory answer, he will respond.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I will continue to wait. However, I am perplexed that as a site of French law experts, there appear to be none. What about the woman advertised on this site?

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again for your patience. I'm not familiar with the woman you mention but we do have a couple of Professionals who know French Law very well. We will continue our search for a Professional to help you.

Thank you for your understanding,
Wendy
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Professional. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately, upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.

Regards,
Wendy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please refund my money as soon as possible.

Thank you.