T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)

Dear Collegue My client owns a property in France together

Customer Question

Dear Collegue

My client owns a property in France together with her ex-husband. The property is out for sale with no purchase so far. The ex-husband is not willing to pay for neccesary maintenance leaving the task for my client. She now wants a refund for expenses (excess of 10.000 euros). My questions are 1) which law regulates such an issue and 2) is it wise to try the case before any court (or mediation) now (or would it be better to deduct the money from the sales prize when is comes to sale)?
Category: French Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 3 years ago.
Your client need to document that the maintenance expenses were absolutely necessary (ie the place would have fallen down otherwise). If not she will need to be able to demonstrate that her co-owner agreed to these expenses if she wants to be able to recover half of these expense from him. It would seem wiser in either case to have those sums deducted from the sale price when the house is indeed sold.