T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

I was married in South Africa, which I assume comes under British

I was married in South Africa, which I assume comes under British Law/rights.
I have live in France for 17 years now and have been seperated from my wife for 2 years.
We are both British with 2 children.
My wife has stated that our marrage will be automatically nullified in UK after 2 years. Is this the case?
My property in France is jointly owned, although my wife chooses to live in UK. My son (16) lives with me and my daughter did live in UK for 2 years, but wishes to return to me, in France and continue her education.
I am unable to make the financial settlement my wife has asked for. I am 56 and cannot borrow money in the form of mortguage or loans, because of my age and also I am of Freelance status.
Can my financial affaires be resolved by French law and what are my rights?
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please continue.

Nothing is automatic. Your divorce proceedings have to be handled under French law if your children reside in France, in the UK if they reside in the UK. If unclear, it will be handled under UK law if legal proceedings are first initiated in the UK or under French law if first initiated under French law. Considering your situation you would be well advised to consult a French lawyer who will help you sort this out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think that there are 2 issues! Devoice which can be done in UK and the financial settlement which should be done in France, because the property is in France. You thoughts please.

It is one and same issue. The financial settlement is part of the divorce settlement. If the divorce is handled in the UK, French administration and notaires will only transcribe into French law and deeds what has been decided by UK judges.
Experience: 8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)