T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

Hello! For when I rent an apartment is Lyon: I heard many

Hello!
For when I rent an apartment is Lyon: I heard many landlords require foreigners to make a two month's deposit in addition to paying the first month's rent at initial setup. I have sufficient documentation to prove adequate income.
However, I read, by law, they can only request one month's deposit. Is this the case?
Thank you!
They can request only one month deposit + one month rent in advance. Legally. They may ask for another month rent in advance (not in deposit) even is this is not exactly within the spirit of the law, but not totally illegal... if they are insecure about the nature of your income. Which is likely to be the case if your documentation is not in French and if your income is not in euro. In strained rental markets like Paris and Lyon, where offer is usually scarcer than demand and they can choose between candidates based on the documentation provided, they tend to choose security, or to demand collaterals, like a bank's guarantee, or a French citizen with established local income to secure the rent.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No more questions at this time. Thank you!