T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

• On 18th May, 2007 I was caught speeding by the Police in

• On 18th May, 2007 I was caught speeding by the Police in Bar Sur Seine and fined a total of 840 Euros for the speeding offence as well as the possession and use of a radar-detecting device, which is illegal in France.
• They also confiscated my radar detector.
• I was instantly summoned by the Police to appear before a Tribunal de Police in Bar Sur Seine on 14th June, 2007.
• I was given a receipt for the cash payment of 840 Euros, which indicates that it was passed to the Tresor Publique de Troyes.
• I then received a letter, dated 4th June, 2007, from the Tribunal de Grande Instance de Troyes which indicated that my ‘convocation’ had been ‘supprimee’ and that they would be arranging another ‘audience’.
• Since then I’ve heard nothing further at all from them.
• I appreciate that a lot of time has elapsed since the above offence, but my question is whether I might be able to get the money and/or my laser detector returned to me? I have kept all the relevant paperwork and can produce it, if necessary.
Your laser detector will have been destroyed as per French law, like any item forbidden on French territory and seized by police, gendarmerie or customs.
The audience would most probably have dealt not with the fine since there seems to be no argument that you were speeding AND in possession of an illegal radar detector, but with additional sanctions that only a court could impose onto you: license cancellation, or suspension. It seems that you do not face any additional proceedings but I am sorry to say that there was not even the slightest chance in law that you recover the amount paid as a fine and the equipment seized.