T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

I may be moving to France soon on a long-stay visa and am an

I may be moving to France soon on a long-stay visa and am an American citizen. I believe after residing there for more than 90 days I am considered to be a resident. I will no longer have an American residence. My intent is to stay and potentially become a French citizen after five years.
I have a will, durable power of attorney and advanced care directive which were setup in the U.S. My only heir is my adult daughter still in U.S. Her inheritance would be my cash, savings etc but no real property
My questions are:
1) If I were to pass away, while living in France and not yet a citizen, are my US drawn documents enforceable?
2) If not, what documents do I need in France?
3) Should the inheritance funds be held in French institutions for her to have access etc? Or can I keep them in the U.S?
Thank you!
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I WILL WAIT FOR AN ANSWER

Hi Judy,

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!

Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, please keep searching.

Thank you again for your patience while we continue our search.

Regards,
Wendy
Your documents would be enforceable only regarding assets held in the USA. If you have no French will, all your assets held in France would be shared equally between all your children (if you have other children than the daughter mentioned above).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information. Couple more questions:

1) Would my daughter have to go to any court proceedings in France should I die and all my assets are in France?

2) Is there such an instrument in France ie. Advance Care Directive? This document states one's wishes should he be on life support and there would not be any chance of living a "quality" life etc.

Merci beaucoup!

Hello!
1) No court proceedings would be necessary unless someone contest her rights as your only heir. The succession would be handled through a notaire.
2) Since Loi Leonetti of 2005, this is called "directives anticipée". It should state your wishes clearly and name someone with whom the doctors would discuss the case. One would advise it is written in French to avoid any misunderstanding which would void it.
Experience: 8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)