TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

I am 71 years old and currently am joint owner with my ex-partner

I am 71 years old and currently am joint owner with my ex-partner of a property in France worth about 300,000 euros. We had two children together but we were not married. I wish to leave my share of this property to these children should I die. However I currently live in Spain and am considering getting married to German woman who has three children of her own. We would not be living in France. If I did marry would her children have any right to inherit the French property equal to - or even greater than - my own two children with my ex-partner?

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello, you have nothing to worry about. In French law, if you do get married, her children will have absolutly no right to inherit your French property. Only your blood children or legally adopted children will have the right to inherit your French property.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX further complications but I think they are all covered. For example my ex-partner has a son as well by not with me and I think I can include him in my will without him having to pay tax as he is disabled. Also I have property in Spain as well but my understanding is that this is not liable to French inheritance law as i am no longer resident in France YES??

Customer:

Did you get my further query OK?

TKenney, Ph.D. :

That is correct. Your property in Spain is not liable to French inheritance law.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Your step son will have to prove his disablity.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

I am glad I was able to answer your question. Please don’t forget to provide a positive rating so I can get credit for the service I provided to you. If the answer was particularly helpful a BONUS is always appreciated too! Best regards XXXXX XXXXX!