TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

CH-rcv

Customer Question

I am a semi-retired American, have the means to support myself, and teach ESL and Business English in San Francisco. I just applied Monday for a Long-stay Visitor Visa for France with the intent of becoming self-employed (part-time) as an ESL Trainer/Teacher preferably with the auto-entrepreneur program. This was all spelled out in my visa letter of intent. I am hoping the French authorities grant me the long-stay visitor/merchant visa. The gentleman who interviewed me told me only French citizens could become an AE. I did not argue with him.

I have a few pertinent questions regarding the AE application and process
On the official “AE” site there is a question posed, “If a foreigner wishes to become an AE, are there any special conditions?” The response:
“No…however, we invite you to make contact with the services of the Prefecture, to see if you can become self-employed in France”.
1) How do I find out what types of businesses are OK for the auto-entrepreneur status?
2) Does each Prefecture have the freedom to establish their own rules for giving their approval or are they uniform?
3) Assuming the Prefecture gives approval for the business: I can apply online for the AE status, wait for the receipt from the CFE for the declaration, and subsequently my SIRET number and then it’s official?

I have heard through the grapevine the all steps in question 3 take "a while". Provided everything goes smoothly, what’s your best estimate for the timeframe to get the SIRET number once I apply for the AE?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Merci beaucoup!

Judy
Category: French Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please cancel. I would like to pose another question.