TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

NA-611

Customer Question

I will be 60 years of age in August 2013 and have the opportunity to move to France to work for the French branch of my employers. I am currently located in the UK and work for the British branch of this business. I have been told by a co-worker that under French Employment Law it is compulsory for a worker to retire at age 62. If this is true then there would be no point in me relocating to France to work for the French branch as I would only have 2 years employment. Can you inform me if what I have been told is correct or if this co-worker has misunderstood French Law on this matter and an employee of a French business can continue to work past the age of 62 if they and their employer agree for them to do so, and if there is an upper age limit for employment in France what that age is?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. I am a British Citizen but am allowed to work in other EU countries including France.

Category: French Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please continue to search for an answer to this question thanks.

Steve Foley

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!

Wendy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

I have now been informed by the French Branch of my employers that this Law was misunderstood by my co-worker and that the true situation is that for any French Employee who qualifies for a French State Pension the earliest they can retire and draw this Pension is 62. It does NOT mean that any employee in France must retire at that age and indeed they can if they and the employer wish work on in France to the age of 70. This information came from the HR Manager of the French Branch.

I will NOT now need to obtain an answer from an Expert.

Do I owe any money for posting this question?

Thanks for your sevices

Steve Foley

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Steve,

Thank you for your reply. To better serve you, I will forward your Customer Service questions to Justanswer.com Customer Service where a Customer Service Representative will contact you via email.