TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
52682299

I am buying an apartment in Eze (France)

Customer Question

I am buying an apartment in Eze (France) in a residence that is 15 years old. The selling price is 625000 euros whichh includes the commission. The mortgage is for the amount of 500000 euros at 180 monthly fixed instalments (15 years), at a fixed rate of 3.25%. I would like to know all legal fess (frais de notaire), plus all taxes that have to paid to the central and/or municipal government. I should be grateful for your prompt, knowledgeable and kind reply at your ealiest convenience, Yours, XXXXX XXXXX

Category: French Law
Expert:  TKenney, Ph.D. replied 4 years ago.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello

TKenney, Ph.D. :

The notaire fee will be between 8 and 9 % the total cost.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

You will have to pay French property taxes. This depends on the city and the size of your property.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

You will have to pay French city taxes called "Taxe d'habitation." The amount you will pay will depends on the city, the location and the size of your property.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Property taxes are called "Taxe Foncières."

TKenney, Ph.D. :

If you are a non resident of France and you earn an income from the rent of your property, then you will have to pay 20% of your income to the French goverment. Income taxes in France is called Impôts sur le revenu.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

So, each year, you will have to pay the French "Taxe d'habitation" and the French "Taxe Foncière." And if you make money from your property, you will have to pay French "Impôt sur le revenu" once a year. Payment of the Notaire fee is only once; when you buy the property.

JACUSTOMER-yqkw3t3e- :

I know about the existence of la taxe fonciere and la taxe d'habitation. What I did request is ot the different costs involved in the buying of an apartment. I also mentioned that the apartment is in La Turbie, next to Eze, which is the department of Alpes Maritimes.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

The only cost that you will have to pay is the notaire fee. I wrote that it is about 8 to 9 % that is all. You also clearly wrote that you wanted to know ".... plus all taxes that have to paid to the central and/or municipal government." This is why I answered the two taxes above.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

You rated me poor service, yet I answered your question. completely.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

This is unfair.

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Please can you alter your rating because it is classed as negative, which means it affects my feedback rating and I receive no credit for helping you. Please, three stars or above.

I am more than happy to answer further questions in order to ensure that you are satisfied.

Thank you very much