Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

My wife and I were contacted my a timeshare resale company,

Customer Question

Hello my wife and I were contacted my a timeshare resale company, Premier Vacation Resales, located at 2140 E. Pebble Road, Las Vegas, NV, 89123. They are stating that they have a buyer for a timeshare that my wife and I own. They are alleging that the buyer want to buy our timeshare for $24,000. They want us for forward them $2200 for legal fees to close this deal. Is this company legit and will we be scammed out of our money. please advise.
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: The buyers are Mr. Peter and Mrs. Kathy Golden, located in Toronto, Ontario, M6r1m7. I can fax you a copy of the contract that was sent to us by Premier Vacation Resales..
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 13 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you! ***** paid online for this service, it was stated that I log in. I was told that I was a previous member and asked for my password. I can't remember my password ***** all I want is my answer! I don't want to apply for members services.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 13 days ago.

The Better Business Bureau is not aware of any timeshare reseller in Las Vegas called Premier Vacation Resales. The website www.Premiervacationresales.com was launched at the end of November 2016 but has been suspended.

The Nevada Secretary of State's corporate register shows no such company as Premier Vacation Resales licensed to do business in Nevada. Apart what you've been told there's no public record of any company by this name being at 2140 E. Pebble Road, Las Vegas, NV. According to the Nevada Real Estate Division this company has no license to engage in real estate transactions in Nevada.

I am still typing more for you, but as you can see, this is a bogus offer.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 13 days ago.

The rule of thumb is to avoid unsolicited calls from any timeshare reseller service making a too good to be true pitch and charging an up-front fee. There's really no exception to that.

There is a tremendous amount of fraud in the timeshare reseller market. You need to be very cautious and stick to companies who have been around for a while and who have good business reputations and some success in unloading time shares.

It is not enough that there are no scam reports about a company. That's because many of these companies exist only for a hot minute and then change their name and their websites before scam reports come out. If you can't find more than just a website when you try to vet a company, you are putting yourself in unnecessary risk.

There is never any reason to pay an up front fee in a real estate transaction. No money has to change hands until the closing. Asking for money is never acceptable.

Cease contact with the scammers. There is no real buyer. They are looking to take your money but they will never admit that, even if cornered. REport the fraud to your police, to the FBI online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov

They may have sent you a convincing looking contract, but it's worthless if it's fraudulent, even if it looks airtight. They may even give you a so-called buyer you can speak to, but they will be confederates of the scammer.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 12 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.