Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

A call from Readers Digest by" Golden" naming me (Dwight

Customer Question

A call from Readers Digest by "Bruce Golden" naming me (Dwight Hoy)
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: A CALLfrom Readers Digest by "Bruce Golden" naming me (Dwight Hoy) as a winner of several million dollars.He asked me to meet him for delivery of the "prize" . A condition of the meeting being my ID and a green dot card(?) in the amount of $500.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: This caller left a phone number-210(###) ###-####(his Office Number).
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 25 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 25 days ago.

This is a scam, and if you send him the Green Dot payment, not only won't he meet you, but he will steal your money.

The phone number traces to a mobile phone. The area code indicates Dallas Texas, but you can reach that number from anywhere in the world. Additionally, Reader's Digest is in NYC and has nothing to do with Texas. The scammers are just using the name of Reader's Digest to bolster their fraud, because most people have heard about them.

Here's what else you need to know:

Scammers want you to believe that you can be picked out of thin air to win millions, but it simply isn't true. You must always enter a contest to be able to win it.

Lottery winners are paid by the proceeds of lottery ticket sales. If you didn't buy and can't produce a lottery ticket with numbers on it that match the winning numbers listed on the contest's website, you cannot collect a prize.

Sweepstake winners complete a form that has their winning numbers on it and the contest keeps a set of the same information. The numbers in the sweepstakes drawing must match what's on your entry form. Once again, your proof of entry is required before you can collect.

Also, when you win a real contest, the prize money is already yours. You never have to pay out of pocket to get your own money. If there were any kind of transfer fees, the contest would take it from your money that they already have. They wouldn't need to get it from you.

The up-front fee, no matter how logical sounding the reason for it is, is the #1 sign of a contest scam.

Every time you get an unsolicited out of the blue message with news that is much too good to be true, it is going to be a fraud.

You need to cease contact with these people. Send them no funds. Block them from further contact with you. There is no contest. There is no prize and you would be literally throwing away your money trying to chase something that is not real.

Report the fraud to your police, to the Internet Crime Complaint Center at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 24 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.