Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I want how can I find out if I been scam, I pay for a dog

Customer Question

I want how can I find out if I been scam
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: I pay for a dog online and now the saying i need to pay for it to be shipped to me
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: I have the website
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 22 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 22 days ago.

But first. . .

What is the website of the breeder? How do they want you to send the payment?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 22 days ago.

There's a very popular pet scam and it goes something like this:

You see an ad on CraigsList or on some pet finder site for a puppy and you get referred to a so-called breeder. You are promised a pup of high quality and his papers. It's healthy and up-to date with its shots. Photos of the breeder's dogs are all of show quality. The puppy's price is well below the value that such a dog is worth.

The sellers come up with some plausible reason that they are going to all but give the dog away for only a nominal fee. But then they start adding one hidden cost after another. First you have to pay for the transport.

Then, after you take care of that, they will ask you for still more. Typically, the dog turns out not to have quite all of his shots after all, and so gets turned away from the plane. Or you get told that the crate that the dog is to be shipped in is too big, too small or does not conform to code. Or they will ask you to absorb the cost of insurance which was never mentioned before. Each time you pay them, there will be a request for even more.

Finally, if you are purchasing the pup from out of the country, you will be told that the dog has arrived in the wrong country and is being quarantined by the authorities, for which you'll have to pay for his maintenance and released. Otherwise, you will be told that the pup has gone to the wrong address, and that you have to pay for its boarding for every day until it gets to you -- but of course it never does.

This mostly free dog can cost you a staggering amount of money when all is said and done and there is no dog and never was.

Finally, you are required to wire the money via Western Union or MoneyGram or by money pak card -- a huge red flag -- since it offers you no buyer protection.

You should NEVER send money by wire to anyone except close personal friends you know on real time or family members. Otherwise, it's like throwing your money away. Wire transfers are instant, irreversible and untraceable, which is why they are #1 favorite means of payment for scammers.

If this all sounds familiar, walk away from your so called breeder. Don't pay them a dime. You won't be getting a dog from them now or forever because they are common thieves. Don't worry about any contract they claim you have. Fraudulent contracts are unenforceable. Report the scam to the FBI at IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov so that they can take the website down.

If this does not sound familiar, or if you're not convinced you're dealing with a scammer, please reply here to this question thread with more information and/or the website and i will look into this further for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 21 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.