Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with fraud examination experience
29905560

I had a said he was a lawyer with the goverment and I had

Customer Question

I had a ***** ***** said he was a lawyer with the goverment and I had won $525000 but he needed $1225 to give to the county clerk to release this money
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: I was called by ***** ***** who said he was an attorney working with the government and that I had won $525000 in an american dreams contest and before the money could be released I would need $1225. His number was(###) ###-#### I told him I didn't have that kind of money but I could get government assistence to help me with it
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: He also gave me an accountant name of Mr. Walker with the same telephone number
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

This is a scam. Such types of scams, known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately extremely common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them.

The best way to spot these is by identifying specific 'red flags' that are often present in the build-up to the scam. The following are the most common ones and if they sound familiar then you can almost guarantee you are involved in a scam:

· Someone contacts you and promises you a large sum of money. You are unlikely to have ever heard of or been involved with the persons/organizations concerned. The Government certainly does not give away prizes like this

· Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, usually as clearance fees, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam.

· Tempted by the potential return, you pay the money in good faith. The usual request is for it to be sent via Western Union, Moneygram, prepaid cards, etc. These are the favoured payment methods used by fraudsters as it is extremely difficult to trace them that way and you also get no fraud protection.

· Once the money has been sent, the fraudster either stops all contact and the promised money never materializes, or they return and ask for further payments due to new unsuspected issues.

DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not communicate any further with them.

If you wish to report this, the following options are available to you:

· You can forward any scam emails and details to: *****@******.***

· If you have already sent money, contact your local State Attorney General

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you