Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

BUYING A VEHICLE USING AMAZON GLOBAL IN AUSTRALIA, SELLER

Customer Question

BUYING A VEHICLE USING AMAZON GLOBAL IN AUSTRALIA
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: SELLER PLACES THE VEHICLE WITH AMAZON GLOBAL WHO FIND A BUYER AND DELIVER THE CAR TO THE BUYER. BUYER HAS TO LODGE PURCHASE PRICE IN AN ESCROW ACCOUNT IN AMAZON GLOBAL BANK ACCOUNT.
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: IF BUYER ACCEPTS THE VAHICLE AMAZON RELEASES FUNDS TO SELLER.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 7 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 7 days ago.

Do NOT go for this deal. It is a very well known scam. The real Amazon.com does not sell used cars, and Amazon NEVER acts as an escrow agent between a buyer and a seller.

Here's how the scam works:

You see a very desirable vehicle online at Gumtree, Craigslist or any other auction or dealer site. It is way below its book value. The seller is typically very far away, maybe even out of your country. He won't let you come and inspect the vehicle nor will he allow you to hire an agent in his part of the country to come see it or check it out on your behalf before you have to pay for it.

No matter what you propose, there is no possible way you or your agent can come and inspect this item before you have to pay for it.

But don't worry, he assures you. The car is just great and you will be able to have several days to inspect it during which time you can send it back. Meanwhile, he tells you, your money will be held by Google Checkout, PayPal, eBay, Amazon, or some so-called shipping and escrow company, while you look it over. In this case he tells you that Amazon will hold the funds in escrow.

If you decide to get the car he tells you that Amazon will release your money to the seller. He may even "throw in" the cost of shipping and insurance, to sweeten the deal because he tells you he is in such a hurry to clinch this deal.

You'll get an email from from a so-called Amazon agent, providing you with payment instructions. That will usually involve a wire transfer which offers you no buyer protection. Then you sit back to wait for your car to arrive. It doesn't.

By the time you figure out that it's never going to show up, your "seller"and the "agent/shipper" have disappeared without a trace and your money along with them. You try to find them, but none of the information you got about either of them turns out to be true.

The real Amazon doesn't know what you're talking about because the deal was not facilitated through Amazon.com and they will not be able to protect you. You look to find the shipper/escrow agent, except the website is a fake and no such business turns out to really exist.

Scamwatch warns about these classified ad vehicle scams here.

Cease all contact with your seller. He's not real. Send no money. You will lose it. There is no real seller, there is no real Amazon Global. There is no car. The only thing real about this transaction will be the money that you lose if you pass it along.

Report the fraud to Amazon if this did start off as a legitimate Amazon listing and to Scamwatch.gov.au to warn others.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.