Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

The is a girl on twitter her username is "kaygotu4life" and

Customer Question

The is a girl on twitter her username is "kaygotu4life" and she advertises by saying she will turn $300 into $3000 and tells people to direct message her to get it done. My friend fell for this and ended up losing $600. This all ocurred on black friday mid day
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 8 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 8 days ago.

What is your question? Does your friend know who and where this woman is?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 8 days ago.

When it comes to unsolicited email, phone or text messages that are too good to be true, you can expect a scam. Not even a magician can actually turn $300 into $3,000 and nobody legitimate could ever guarantee such returns. If it were true that all we had to do to make our money grow tenfold would be to wire it via Western Union to some stranger who posts on Twitter, we would all be billionaires.

As it is, he sent his money to a scammer who could be anybody, anywhere in the world. He's the victim of a crime, and if he knew who and where this woman really was, he could pursue her in small claims court for the $600 to get his money back or have her arrested and charged. But finding her is going to be a job for law enforcement. The only way he's going to see any money is if the authorities can find out who and where she is and bring her to justice.

He should report this to his police and to the FBI at IC3.gov, which is their Internet Crime Complaint Center. I won't lie to you. The likelihood that anyone will find this person is very, very low. However, if your friend, like you, lives in the US, then I can give him one small piece of good news. When you are the victim of a crime, which he is, his unreimbursed losses due to that crime are tax deductible. So he will be able to get some of his money back in the form of a deduction when he files his 2016 taxes.