Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

I got a call to get an Apple ITune card loaded for $250 so I

Customer Question

I got a call to get an Apple ITune card loaded for $250 so I can get a $5000 loan .... just a scam or legit offer from PNC bank
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: They paid off 2 credit cards for me which I need to pay them back $98/month for next 60 months. Then they want me to put $250 back on one of the cards by purchasing an ITune prepaid card, loaded for $250. The individual wants me to go to Walgreens NOW & get the card so I can give them the reference # of the card - then they will deposit $5000 into my bank account...he says this a legit offer from PNC bank.....???
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: The individual insists that it isn't a scam .... because I questioned him. But how do I know for sure?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome, and happy Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately, this is a scam. No legitimate bank would ever, EVER ask you to get an iTunes gift card. This is not a legitimate form of payment that is accepted by real businesses. It is increasingly becoming the method of payment for scammers, though, since gift cards can be sold for cash and are essentially untraceable.

This is also identifiable as a scam because no legitimate lender would ever require you to pay a fee in order to get a loan. With a real loan, any fees are simply added to the amount you are borrowing. You never need to pay money to borrow money.

If these people have already paid off your credit cards I'm afraid they have done it by cashing fraudulent checks, which is a common tactic employed by scammers in these situations. You need to immediately contact your credit card companies and let them know that you believe that the recent payments may be fraudulent but they were made by someone else. If you don't do this, you unforutnately risk them trying to pin the fraudulent payments on you.

You also want to contact the police and file a crime report. This, too, is essential, since fraudulent payments have already been made in your name.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.