Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

I have 2 "friends" one who says that he has various funds

Customer Question

I have 2 "friends" one who says that he has various funds supposedly coming to me....& I am told by the bank that they wil hold he funds & check him out...his name is*****
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: fellow in Lagos wants $500 for hs ailng mother & $300 to reschedule his ticket to me ...help
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 13 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Any time someone tells you that they're going to send you a check and asks you to cash it and send them money back, it's a scam. The check is fraudulent. They want you to move quickly and take the cash before you find out, because then you're on the hook for that money. The bank can try to hold the check for a few days, but checks that are printed with fake routing numbers of account numbers sometimes take a while before they get returned. There's no guarantee that a check is good just because the bank releases the funds - there are laws preventing them from holding a check indefinitely.

But again, if they're saying, "Cash this and send me the money," that's always a scam. It's never a legitimate transaction.

The name scam artists give are never the real ones. The names they give change frequently, which makes it nearly impossible to maintain an up-to-date database. When trying to determine if something is a scam, you have to look at the behavior. The behavior you've described is Scam Artist 101. It's extremely common.

Again, I need you to keep all replies on THIS PAGE. The other page has now been closed as a duplicate, and i cannot type on it.

These people are not your friend. They're scamming you. The best thing you can possibly do is cut off all contact with them. They will say and do anything to steal your money.

If Justin can send money to you, he can send it to Jacob. There is no logical, legitimate reason to use you as a middle man.

You can also use this website to confirm there is no soldier by that name stationed in Kabul.
https://scra.dmdc.osd.mil/

Do you have any questions about this?