Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

There is a gentleman that found my facebook page and wanted

Customer Question

there is a gentleman that found my facebook page and wanted to be friends. He said he was a widower and just was looking for single women. After talking to him for a couple of months on line he asked if I would accept money for him for a job he did in UAE. I said no. Is this part of a scam. I don't trust anyone
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the fraud examiner can help you. Is there anything else important you think the fraud examiner should know?
Customer: He said he works in Australia on a platform and owns a cleaning company that cleans the platform when the company is drilling.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 20 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 20 days ago.

Yes. This story follows a pattern of a well-known fraud that we call the Stranded Traveler fraud. Here's how it works:

You meet a guy on a social networking or dating site and he falls in love with you at first sight. He talks love, marriage, future and forever, before you can even meet in person.

He seems to be everything you always wanted in a man, and you can't believe your luck. Typically, but not always, he claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter. Usually, he claims to have his own business. Most frequently he claims to be an engineer, an architect or a contractor, but it could be any type of business that would allow him to work outside of the country.

And lo and behold, before he can finally meet you, he tells you he must go abroad for work purposes, and he ends up typically in some country that's neither his nor yours.

Once abroad, Mr Perfect suddenly suddenly turns into Mr. Needy, the world's unluckiest guy. He has the first of a series of emergencies for which only your money will do. There's equipment failure , for example, and he can't afford the repair. Or Customs is holding the products he ordered and he needs money to get them released. Or he has cash flow problems and he can't afford to pay his workers. Or he gets robbed of all of his documents and he can't leave until he pays his hotel bill. Or he or one of his family members gets ill and cannot get treatment or leave the hospital until you pay his bill.

There are bunches of excuses like this and the one he's given you is one of the most common. They are all lies and they are designed only to part you with your money.

Of course, each time he gets money, he assures you that he will pay you back when he returns home. But he never gets an inch closer to the plane, and he never will. He is not who, what or where you think he is. He's a ring of thieves hiding behind the photo of an appealing man.

Sometimes, as in your situation, he doesn't need to borrow your money. He asks for your bank account and claims he wants you to hold money for him. There's no legitimate reason on earth for a stranger -- and that's all he is because you've never met him -- to need you to hold his money. If he can reach you from his so called oil rig, he could reach his own bank. What he actually wants you to do is to launder his stolen money. The money sent to you will not be from him at all but from some other person he's romancing and swindling. You get to put the money in your bank and to wire him some via Western Union or Money Gram when he wants you to. In that way, when his other victims realize they've been had and report the crime, the money trail will stop with YOU.

Whether you're on the giving or getting end, once talk of love turns to money with any online romance you have not developed a real-time actual in-person dating relationship with, you are being scammed. Each and every time.

Do not give this man your account information. Do not accept any money from him or give him any of your money. Cease contact with him and walk away. He's not who, what or where he's telling you he is. He's a thief and a liar.

Report him to the FBI, online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center.

I know you think you care for him and you may want to believe him rather than me. If I haven't convinced you yet that he's a fraud, feel free to give me more information about him or to upload photos of him and/or documents that he has sent you to this question thread and I will look further.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 19 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.