Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I am interested in buying a bobcat I found on craigslist the

Customer Question

I am interested in buying a bobcat I found on craigslist the person selling it wants to go through ebay how can I tell if it is a scam
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the fraud examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the fraud examiner can help you best.
Customer: Alicia Marquez <*****@******.***>To***@******.***Message body

Dear, this is Alicia with the 1999 Bobcat 873G Turbo for sale that you are interested to buy. The skidsteer was garage kept all the time when not in use, tires and wheels are at 70% which means you won't have to worry about that, never had any mechanical or electrical problem with it also never needed any paint or body work. It has the 73.5hp Kubota diesel engine with hydrostatic transmission that shifts perfect, 4X4, 1120 hours on it. Got all the paper work and maintenance records for it. Will let it go for $1,500 because my husband passed away 2 months ago because of a heart attack and it brings me bad memories. Along with my daughter, we decided to sell the house and moved to my sister in Petal Mississippi looking to start a new life. I was advised and want to use eBay services for the safety of both of us so if you want to buy the skidsteer  please respond with your complete name and address including the zip code so I can let eBay know that you will be the buyer of the skidsteer and they will get in contact with you to explain the entire procedure of this sale. I will wait your response if you are decided to be the next owner of the Bobcat. Thank you
JA: Is there anything else the fraud examiner should be aware of?
Customer: this is her return email to me and I don't know if it is a scam how can I tell if it is legit or not and what can be done to protect myself
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

This is a very popular car scam. Craigslist is overrun with them and has many warnings about them on their site.

First of all, eBay is just an auction venue. The only way you can buy an eBay product is to bid on it and win it on eBay. You can't buy something through Craigslist and utilize any of eBay's services. eBay services, such as they are, are only available to those who shop on eBay.

The only reason your "seller" is mentioning eBay at all is to use the name of a reliable company in order to make her fraud sound legitimate. Don't fall for it.

Here's how the car scam works:

You see a desirable vehicle in an online advertisement on Craigslist or some other advertising site or online auction. The cost of it is way below its book value. The seller is typically either out of your area of the country or advertising it from abroad. He can't let you see and inspect the vehicle, nor will he allow agent of yours to come see it on your behalf. Typically, he will say that he's in the military and about to be deployed or have some other excuse for letting it go for a song. But whatever the excuse, there is no possible way you or your agent can come and inspect what you are looking to buy

But don't worry, he assures you. The Bobcat is just great and you will be able to have 5 days to inspect it during which time you can send it back. Meanwhile, your money will be held by an eBay agent , while you look it over. If you decide to get the vehicle, he tells you that eBay will then release your money to the seller. He may even "throw in" the cost of shipping and insurance, to sweeten the deal because he is in such a hurry.

You'll get an email or call from "eBay" providing you with payment instructions. That will usually involve a wire transfer using Western Union or MoneyGram or a money pak card payment to go to the so-called eBay agent. Then you sit back to wait for the Bobcat. By the time you figure out that it's never going to arrive, your "seller"and the "eBay agent" have disappeared without a trace and your money along with him. You try to find him, but none of the information you got turns out to be true. You contact eBay and they don't know what you're talking about.

Again, the real eBay never acts as an escrow service to hold goods or money for a buyer or seller. eBay protection extends only to what goods you actually purchased in an eBay auction or fixed price listing.

Here is an FBI warning about these scams.

Walk away from the deal. Have no further contact with the "seller." Report the fraud to Craigslist and to the FBI at IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at fTC.gov

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.