Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

I have someone calling me about a Federal grant that is

Customer Question

I have someone calling me about a Federal grant that is delivered through iTunes
JA: The fraud examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the fraud examiner can help you best.
Customer: This Federal grant through iTunes that I was selected to receive a grant that they randomly pick people so I sent them $249 with a iTunes card and now they are saying that I need 900 because my credit is bad
JA: Is there anything else the fraud examiner should be aware of?
Customer: The telephone number to these people is(###) ###-####the guy's name is***** and he is telling me that I am 99% cleared itself I need to send $901 they have a thing account information and everything but they said that they cannot release the money until I send the 900
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you.

There is absolutely, positively no federal grant that is delivered through iTunes. There is also absolutely never any obligation to send money in order to receive a grant. The government does not need you to send it money in order for it to send you money.

What you are dealing with an advance fee scam. These scams have numerous variations but the essential facts they all have in common is that the victim is contacted and informed of a "grant," sweepstakes winnings, inheritance or some other financial windfall and told that they need to pay money up front to get it. Of course, there is no sum of money for the victim and this is merely a ploy to get the victim to send their own advance payment, with which the scammer will promptly disappear.

In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.

In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Were you able to view my answer to your question?

Can you please let me know if you are viewing my responses to you?