RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.
18284290

I was scamed out of $200.00. I clicked on an news or what I

Customer Question

Hi, My name is***** and i was scamed out of $200.00.
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the fraud examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the fraud examiner can help you best.
Customer: I clicked on an news or what I thought was a news ad. There was an alert that came on my computer. I can not pronounce her name. an number is1-***-***-****
JA: Is there anything else important you think the fraud examiner should know?
Customer: the withdrawal was a company named walmartmc wm telpay
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you today. I'm sorry to hear what happened.

Not sure why the charge would show up as Walmart Telepay but that phone number is ***** with a scammer company called Software Solutions, among others. They sometimes pretend to be with Microsoft or associated with Microsoft. The pop-up ad basically suggests that you have a virus or problem with your computer and that only they can fix it, for which they charge hundreds of dollars. Of course, the number turns out not to be any computer company or Microsoft. It's a total scam.

Unfortunately, as frequently as I've seen this scam I haven't heard of anyone recovering money. If I knew of a way to get your money back, I'd tell you. Generally these scammers operate outside the United States, and outside the jurisdiction of law enforcement. They often have people wire money because it cannot be traced once sent. And they're very, very convincing at what they do, which is why they're able to scam so many people.

At this point, you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and with the Internet Crime Complaint Center, which is a task force run in part by the FBI and investigates cyber complaints and scams.

I would encourage you to talk to the bank about the withdrawal to see if there is anything they can do to reverse it or block it, but I would not, in my experience, expect that, to be honest.

I'm sorry the news couldn't be more positive.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 21 days ago.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed? If so, kindly REPLY and I'm happy to help further! If not, please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page and pressing SUBMIT.

Attorneys on Just Answer are not employees of this site, and are not paid until you leave a positive rating for our time and assistance. Thank you!