How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zoey_JD Your Own Question

Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 23589
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Zoey_JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a call from medicare saying they needed additional

Customer Question

I had a call from medicare saying they needed additional information on my husband to send him a back brace for his back. I gave them the information they ask for - birthdate, weight, height, address - It was
JA: The fraud examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else the fraud examiner should be aware of?
Customer: They did not ask for back information or money. The phone number they gave me - of course- does not work. Wiwconsin(###) ###-####
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 25 days ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Did you give sensitive information such as his social security number?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 25 days ago.

This is a scam. The phone number you have given me has been reported for scam activity. See link Here's another report. A reverse search of the phone number shows that it traces to Wisconsin directory assistance. So it's likely someone using software that would allow him to hide his actual phone number.

These folks are phishing for sensitive identifying information, possibly to commit identity theft. You want to take precautions against identity theft. If you have out any bank or credit card information, you need to close those accounts and open new ones. If you gave out his social security number, you need to contact social security to tell them that your husband's SSN is now compromised. You would also want to fill out a special form with the IRS so that they too are aware. What you don't want is for unscrupulous people to use his benefits.

You can learn more about this here.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Ok, They have all the information. I will start calling credit cards, IRS, SS . Is there one place I can stop all this? What is the most likely place they will hit first?
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 25 days ago.

No, there is no one central place that can stop this.

But if you gave bank and credit account information, start by calling them NOW. Have your bank and card carriers check to make sure whether there have been any recent unauthorized uses of the account and then close all of those accounts and open new ones.

Then what you should do is to get a fraud alert put on your credit history. You get that by calling one of the three credit reporting agencies -- experian, equifax, or TransUnion -- and ask them to do that for you.

A fraud alert is free for 90 days, and it means that if, during that time, anyone attempts to open up a credit card or take out a loan in your husband's name, he will get a phone call before any such loan or credit line can be approved. This way, he can stop any card or loan before it gets issued to scammers.

After 90 days, he can continue the service for a fee. I'm linking you to Experian, because I have the link handy.

Again, they all perform the same service and any one will notify the other two.

A fraud alert will not negatively affect your husband's credit. It simply protects it. He should also monitor his credit history and review his bank and credit card statements carefully to report any unauthorized transactions. If he does this early enough, credit cards will reimburse him for his losses. When he gets the fraud alert, he'll also get a free copy of his credit report from each of the three organizations, so that he can look for any identity theft.

I've already discussed contacting the Social Security Administration. Read that file I sent you as it will tell you how to proceed. Typically, they won't want him to open up a new number, but you do need to put them and the IRS on notice about this incident, so that he's protected if in the future it causes a problem.

I understand that this is going to be a major pain in the neck. But your husband's financial security may depend upon it.

He should file a consumer complaints the Federal Trade Commission at, another report with the police and also with the FBI. The FBI has a special site for these sorts of problems called the Internet Crime Complaint Center. He can report it online there at

The site indicated that your payment failed for the phone call you wanted. Customer service will contact you and sort that out with you. Until that happens, I cannot call you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 23 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.