Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Miss Zoey, my name isn't and u have spoken with my father

Customer Question

Hello miss Zoey, my name isn't Jennifer and u have spoken with my father ***** ***** about a loan forgiveness program. The information provided was all correct and I would like to see if u can assure me that this loan program is legit. The contact number is (213) 344- 4693 for Tina Jackson, the website is www.a1docprep.com. U are welcome to use my name in gettin information. My email is***@******.*** to get back to me. Thank you.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 21 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I look into this company and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 21 days ago.

I think this is a likely scam.

I looked at the WHOIS information behind the website. What I found was that this company only registered their domain name and launched their site on April 20, 2016. So it's just about 7 months old. The company only registered its name for a year -- the least amount of time that one can register a domain name for. Real companies set themselves up to stick around for the long haul. It is much cheaper to buy a block of years than to register your name for only one, and a real company would not want to risk having their name taken out from under them.

It's a big red flag when a company is brand new and not set up to stick around. Another red flag is that the company is using a private proxy service to hide the site owner and location. You can see all of this by going to a site such as www.domaintools.com and running A1's website through their search box to get their WHOIS information.

The fact that they have not disclosed their location is very important because the company's website doesn't say where A1 is located either. That means it can't be checked out. Companies that go out of its way to hide what you need to do your due diligence before contracting with them are always up to no good. I don't think this is an exception.

They'll be able to get substantial personal information from you, which they can use to commit identity theft. And if you look at the disclaimer, I don't see what in the world you are paying them for. For forms that you can download for free? They provide no legal or financial service. See below:

"Our service is only for the Preparation & Tracking of your Federal Student Loan Consolidation Documents. Consumers may choose to complete their own consolidation documents based on the federal programs and are not obligated to use a third party resource such as A1 DocPrep. A1 DocPrep Consolidation does not facilitate the negotiation of a debt, the settlement of a debt or the altering of a debt it's services are only for the assistance and completion of federal student loan program documents. A1 DocPrep will not pay your student loans for you or on your behalf. *Results May Vary and are Solely Based on The Federal Consolidation Program You Choose."

The Better Business Bureau has found them and has given them a low rating because they don't resolve customer complaints.

I'd look elsewhere.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Have you contacted them and spoken with them? They have told me they are a new organization and it was because they are under the obama term. The woman I spoke with said she understands the concern for fraud and is willing to personally answer any question... that is why I provided her contact information
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
My contact is(###) ###-####
Sincerely,
***** *****
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 21 days ago.

Nope. I haven't spoken to them, but I know the pattern. Do you think that they will admit to being scammers? I can tell you now that they won't. I look for independent confirmation of legitimacy. And it's not there to be found.

The alleged address on the website is a residential property. The owner's contact details don't match the number on the web or "Tina's" number.

They claim to be incorporated but that's a lie. They are not licensed or registered with the state of California, according to the California Secretary of state. The company's phone number from its website has complaints and scam reports against it on the web.

I'm going to stand by everything I've said.

You can read more about student loan relief scams here.

Phone calls are an additional service requiring an additional fee. I will send you the information and you can accept it if you wish, or simply continue communicatiing with me on this question thread at no additional charge.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 20 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
All these loan forgiveness places were able to say I could qualify for the obama forgiveness repayment plan at $0 repayment for 10 years, after that time the remainder balance would then be forgiven. I was told, also by yourself, that all these documents and papers I need to file and apply are available to me for free to do myself. How do I go about that or where do I go to see the best forgiveness option I can get? And to get all the paperwork I need to fill out to apply for loan forgiveness...
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 20 days ago.

If you are eligible for forgiveness for student loans, you will fall into one of 4 categories. To see if you'd be eligible see this article.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 19 days ago.