Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

I am being asked to wire money to a Heinrich bluten in ghana

Customer Question

I am being asked to wire money to a Heinrich bluten in ghana I was told this guy is a banker is this true?
JA: The fraud examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the fraud examiner can help you best.
Customer: I met this guy on match . com he states he is in Egypt building a road, but his money was frozen in an account. He has to pay a 1% fee to unlock his funds. He asked me to wire the money. But it is to Ghana not Egypt. I have no intention of doing this, I am curious. Is this for real or is this a scan
JA: Is there anything else important you think the fraud examiner should know? I'm the fraud examiner's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: I have tried to find this guy on the computer but it's like he doesn't exist.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 22 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

NO, it's not true. This is a very common scam. They find you and pretend to be your friend, then once you think you've established a connection, they start asking for money. The connection isn't real - these people are trained to say exactly what you want to hear. And if you send them money, they'll keep asking for more and more, until you realize one day you have nothing left.

Banks do not charge people a fee to unlock their funds. (I used to work in banking.) For one thing, when an account is frozen, it's usually due to something like fraud or a court order, meaning that you can't pay to unlock it. Also, if they wanted money to reopen the account, they'd just take 1% of what's in the account already, instead of hoping the account holder can find money elsewhere. From a business perspective, that makes much more sense than holding someone's money forever, unable to spend it, hoping they'll eventually find more money.

Do not send any money. The best thing you can possibly do is report your friend to Match as a scam artist (because he's probably running the exact same scam on other people right now), and then cut off all contact with him.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The scammed is very convincing, he originally asked for a phone and a computer, the he wanted 3500.00, I told him I don't have any money and cannot send any. He came back and asked for only 1000.00, again I told him no. He said ok, I'm not sure why he keeps contacting me. He knows I am not going to give him any money or anything else. He still talks about meeting in person. I don't think I trust him to meet in person. Would these scammers try to kidnap their victims. I don't understand his connection to me.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 19 days ago.

These people would do anything for money. I can't swear that doesn't include kidnapping people and holding them for ransom.

With that said, most of these scam artists are located in Nigeria or Ghana. They're not willing to come to the United States to risk detection and arrest. He's offering to meet because he's hoping that his apparent willingness to spend time with you will make you more likely to give him money. Going to meet him would be a waste of your time, because he won't show up.

Also, if he could afford to travel from Egypt (where he's claiming to be) to wherever you are, then he's already got access to the money he's asking you for. Cut off all contact with him. It's a scam.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 18 days ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?