Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

I got a call from a number I wanted to know if it's a scam,

Customer Question

I got a call from a number I wanted to know if it's a scam
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the fraud examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the fraud examiner can help you best.
Customer: The number is ***** calling from irs that's what they told me
JA: Is there anything else important you think the fraud examiner should know?
Customer: Just that the number and they wanted money and asking to go to a target to get a iTunes card to be hable to pay them off what I owe them
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Yes, this is a scam. You can find some very recent scam reports regarding the phone number that called you here. Also, no legitimate entity would EVER ask you to send iTunes gift cards as a form of payment for anything. This is becoming the new favored method of payment for scammers, since gift cards cannot be traced.

In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar offers and notices. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.

In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.