Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with fraud examination experience
29905560

I met a man through Senior Souls Mates and have been

Customer Question

I met a man through Senior Souls Mates and have been emailing him daily for months. He say he lives in Arvada, CO. He told me he had a degree in chemical engineering. He has ben in London for the last two weeks installing a gas turbine.He has shown me a copy of his passport (with picture) and a copy of his work contract in London. He claims that one of the men he hired left a wrench inside the turbine. When it was started, the wrench tore up the blades and bent the shaft. He is working under a MOU and is responsible for fixing the damages. He asked me to send $3,200 as a loan for repairs. I requested collateral of equal value to secure. He wants to send me a promissory note for the loan at 20%interest rate. Is this legit. What if his passport is fake? Will it be possible to find him? an
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the fraud examiner can help you. Is there anything else important you think the fraud examiner should know?
Customer: I used Ben Verified to check on William. But, the picture, phone number, and email address did not match his.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Please can you provide me with his contact name and details so that I can look into this for you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The US passport copy says that he was born Dec. 12, 1952 in Hamburg, Germany. The picture on the passport matches the one on Senior Soulmates ,but not the one on BeenVerified. My phone is on quick charge. As soon as it powers up, I'l send his phone numbers. The email he uses is***@******.***.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and sources and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is a copy of the promissory note(including his CO address) that he just sent:
I can't get the note to paste but, here is the adress it was sent from:bnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=CazfMDJIwku9SOvQFje5x5DNmu1_CdQYQnSRjUZgaHDC9kvno_CKkXDBIKcK0gzsVTg4VZ07HXI.&token=dd4c2270-29b7-4eaa-b704-5c7281e6b576&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1His home address is:***** Arvada, CO###-##-####
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The phone numbers he has been using are:
cell(###) ###-####(while in London)
home(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is a handwritten promissory note legal? What info does a promissory note written in Lodon contain to be valid in the US? I have lost money by accepting bad checks from people. Is a promissory note safer? I won't have any collateral from him, only the note. What do you recommend?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

A promissory note can be legal even if handwritten but that should be the least of your worries. If this person is a scammer then it does not matter even if it was a gold-plated promissory note certified by the Attorney General as you will not get anything back.

The first important thing you should be aware of is that it is never possible to state with certainty whether someone you have met online is genuine or not unless you have actually met them in person. Therefore, there will inevitable be a degree of speculation involved.

With the anonymity of the internet, there has been a very significant increase in romance scams. The main way to identify such scams is not by tracing the person, which as mentioned would often be impossible, but by looking at the overall situation and identifying certain 'red flags'. The most common ones are:

1. You have met this person online, usually through a dating or social networking website, or via instant messaging.

2. They will usually be located in a different country to you.

3. They will strike a long-distance relationship with you, they are very pleasant and romantic. They may take time to gain your trust, although often the relationship progresses unnaturally fast.

4. They will eventually ask for money. There are various reasons used. However, the golden rule is that you should never send money to a stranger that you have originally met online, no matter what the reasons or who they say they are.

5. Finally, they often request that the payment is made via some dubious money transfer method, with little or no fraud protection, such as Western Union, Moneygram, etc. These are also used because it makes tracing the recipients of the money very difficult, if not impossible.

If the above looks familiar, chances are that the person you are involved with is a fraudster and you need to proceed with extreme caution, if at all. I strongly suggest you cease all contact with the person and certainly not send anything to them.

So as soon as you get a money request from a person you have met online and never met in person, you can basically guarantee it is a scam. Maybe 0.001% of cases are genuine but the risks are too high to take that chance.

If you send the money you will most likely lose it. If you refuse to send it based on the risks, I the person is genuine they will understand that and it should not affect your relationship. The more pushy they get about it and the more they make you feel guilty the clearer it is that they are a scammer.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 29 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 28 days ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.