Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I think i am being scamed is there anything needed to bring

Customer Question

hi I think i am being scamed is there anything needed to bring gold into the US
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the fraud examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the fraud examiner can help you best.
Customer: the gold is supposed to be here in us but paper work was needed for large sum of money
JA: Is there anything else the fraud examiner should be aware of?
Customer: now the person delivering the gold is being detained by police for not getting verifacation paper on time now he says there is a fine of 5000 dollars that need to be payed to getreleased.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Is your "friend" someone you have met before, or is he just an internet contact? Where's the gold coming from? Ghana?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

People who ask a question like this are the victim of a romance scam of some sort. The scenario is wildly improbable and it's just a way of getting you to wire $5,000 to a thief. If the gold is from Ghana, which is usually is, there's only one way to get gold into the US. That's through the Ghanaian government, who will only ship it to a verified buyer. Any other way would be illegal and the person would be arrested for smuggling. $5,000 wouldn't release the gold, which would be held for evidence as the fruit of a crime, nor would it release the person smuggling the gold out.

In one typical scam scenario, a victim thinks they're going to marry a Ghanaian heiress, who has supposedly put her inheritance into his name and is sending the gold to him so that they can live happily and wealthily ever after. In another typical scam scenario, the scammer claims to be a soldier serving in a war zone and the gold has been found and are the spoils of war.

Either way, there is no real gold. There is nothing to release. The person contacting you is a fraud and any documents and photos you've received are false as well. If you have heard from "customs" or a "barrister" they are fakes too, just confederates of the scammer.

If any of this sounds familiar, don't send any money, cease all contact with these frauds, and report the scam to the FBI at IC3.gov before you get hurt.

If you don't believe that it's a scam yet, reply to this thread and upload any documents and photos you have that you think may change my mind. I'll be happy to look them over and to give you more concrete evidence of fraud.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.